Saturday, September 02, 2006

This post brought to you by...


Elderly Bill-cat is a very sweet, wise old dude. He's not a lap cat, but he can really enjoy a good chin or belly rub. He doesn't "cuddle" per se, but occasionally needs a bit of ah, closeness. I'm usually happy to oblige.

He's been a bit under the weather this week, refusing his regular food, but eating some treats, special food, etc. I've been hovering, monitoring, trying to get a sense from him how much help he wants or needs. This "geriatric" cat care has been a good learning experience: I feel sometimes we are in a dance, me trying to read his subtle clues to how he's feeling and what might help. We don't want to do anything "heroic" or over the top to "save" him, but while he still seems to be enjoying himself, he deserves some good care.

I think he's improving, so we're braving a trip away this weekend for a father's side family reunion down south. We found a new petsitter who is game to take care of the chicken crew as well as the cats.

I am called to visit some family members I haven't seen in a long time, and take a last visit to a farmstead that's being sold. Sometimes I feel like visiting places key to one's own remembered history is nearly as fulfilling and valuable as visiting people. I've always had an avid fascination with history, family or otherwise. What can we learn by taking those glimpses into another time? More pictures and musings to come!

1 comment:

Endment said...

Hope you have a wonderful trip and that your sponsor is feeling better soon.