Monday, June 09, 2008

Eek, More than a Week

Eeek! Over a week since posting! We are Ok, just busy with lots of firsts for the Bean.

-First smiles (no pictures yet)
-First jaunt in the jogging stroller (walking only)
-First 3-hour car trip (with plenty of stops, um, requested).
-First bug bites (UG!)

We’ve also had the last scheduled midwife visit, for weight and general check-in. Bean weighs almost 12 lbs; my arms can definitely feel that! We’ve now “graduated” from midwife care; a bittersweet milestone. Even though the actual birth was in a hospital and was very “medical” at the end, our midwife has stood by us and offered so much support before and after birth; I can’t imagine doing it without her. She came out to weigh Bean on more than one Sunday; imagine a doctor doing that!



It’s also now fully spring, here; getting warmer (when it’s not still 40-some degrees, more in the forecase, grrr), with plenty of rhubarb and dandelions. The apple trees are in blossom. The bugs arrived within the last few days, and I’m already itching. I have discovered that a certain substance available only to (from) nursing mothers can actually help soothe bug bites! Been using it on myself and Bean. Who knew? Amazing stuff.

WF stays busy with the chickens and trying to get caught up in the gardens… the beds really got away from us last fall; I was newly pregnant and exhausted, and we generally get behind anyway. But progress is being made, and one broody hen is cooperating with the “more new chicks” plan. Let’s hope we get some pullets this time! Somewhere around solstice, we’ll see how it goes…

Maybe I'll get better about regular posts, maybe I won't. Been doing more paper writing and book reading lately, since it's easier to balance a notebook or a book than the laptop while nursing or with a sleeping baby on my lap. Multitasking!

1 comment:

BurdockBoy said...

you're keeping up with posts better than I did. He's so big already. KIA didn't reach 12 lbs forever.

Anyhow happy spring. I hope the severe weather and flooding isn't reaching you up there.